Important Trash and Recycling Information
Important Solid Waste and Recycling Collection Information for 2023
Dear New Freedom Borough Resident,
Please be advised that Penn Waste Inc. has been awarded the Solid Waste and Recycling Contract with New Freedom Borough for the term of 1/1/23-12/31/27. We look forward to continuing to service the residents of New Freedom Borough. Our goal is to provide you with superior customer service. All customers will be receiving mobile carts for trash and recycling collection in this contract. Delivery will begin in late November 2022. Please find more information on the cart installation in this flyer.
Please have your items placed at the curb prior to 6:00 AM as we will start promptly. We recommend placing your material curbside the evening before your collection. In this contract, your collection day will be on Friday ONLY. There will no longer be Tuesday collections effective January 1, 2023. Your weekly collection will consist of the following.
– Trash – One (1) 96 Gallon Mobile Cart
-Recycle – One (1) 64 Gallon Mobile Cart
-Bulk Item – One Per Week – Must be Scheduled
Mobile Cart Information
As part of the new contract, Penn Waste will be distributing mobile carts to customers in New Freedom Borough for Trash and Recycling service. Mobile cart delivery is scheduled to begin the last week of November, 2022. You may begin utilizing your mobile cart once it is received.
- All customers will receive one (1) 96 gallon mobile cart for trash service. All waste material should fit within the provided mobile cart. No excess material will be accepted.
- All customers will receive one (1) 64 gallon mobile cart for recycling service. If you are in need of excess service for recycling, you may utilize the 32 gallon bin that was provided to you in the past. Please utilize the mobile cart primarily.
- If you would like to dispose of your current container, please leave a note on your empty container labeling it as trash and we will collect it with your trash before the end of 2022.
Penn Waste will be collecting the residents of New Freedom Borough with an automated side load truck. The utilization of mobile carts is mandatory as a part of the municipal contract. By utilizing the mobile carts, our crews will be able to provide residents the most efficient collection for the best price. The mobile carts also reduce the amount of litter and pests within the borough.
Proper Cart Placement
Please be advised that all mobile carts should be placed behind the curb. There should be nothing placed in the roadway that would impede or delay the removal of snow or ice from the road. The garbage truck arm has the capability to reach past the curb in order to pick up your cans. Here are some tips to ensure a smooth collection process:
- Set mobile cart out by 6:00 AM.
- Place mobile cart with the lid handle and wheels pointing toward your residence.
- Do not place cart in the roadway.
- Do not block walkways with carts.
- Place carts at least THREE FEET APART from each other and mailboxes, fire hydrants, low hanging trees or shrubs, parked cars, or utility poles – so trucks can easily access the cart.
Bulk Item Guidelines – Call to Schedule Pickup
New Freedom Borough residents may dispose of one (1) bulk item per week through curb side collection. All bulk pickups must be scheduled in advance by calling Penn Waste customer service at 717-767-4456.
ACCEPTED MATERIALS – Appliances (including appliances containing Freon), furniture, mattresses, box springs, one (1) car tire without the rim, lawn mowers (oil and gasoline removed), plumbing fixtures such as toilets and sinks, three (3) 4 ft. rolls of carpet (tied).
NON-ACCEPTABLE MATERIALS – Chemicals, stains, liquids, batteries, automobile parts, hazardous waste, tires on rims, commercial/industrial waste, construction materials (drywall, brick, block, lumber, shingles, tiles, concrete).
ADDITIONAL INSTRUCTIONS – Items which are too heavy to be lifted into a truck by two people will not be accepted. Additional trash bags are NOT considered a bulk item.
Basic Residential Guidelines
- Trash and recycling must be curbside by 6:00 AM on your scheduled collection day, Friday.
- All waste should fit in the mobile cart provided.
- Bulk items should be scheduled through our customer service department. Freon items may also be scheduled through our customer service department. You may also schedule online at www.pennwaste.com and chatting with our chatbot Trina.
- Bulk items that are too heavy to be lifted into a truck by two people will not be accepted.
- No construction debris will be collected curb side. Construction debris is material such as cabinetry, flooring or drywall that cannot be accepted curbside. Please contact Penn Waste for pricing on how to dispose of this material.
- To stay up to date on collection updates, sign up for our E-News Updates at www.pennwaste.com